I design websites in WordPress and most of the time create my projects locally on my computer before I migrate them to a server. XAMPP enables me to do that, it’s an easy to install, free and open-source cross-platform Apache distribution web server solution containing MariaDB, PHP, and Perl developed by Apache Friends.

Colin, over at Themsile wrote an easy to follow and detailed guide on how to install Xampp and WordPress locally which I recommend.

I was working on Xampp 8.1.4 which vontains PHP version 8.1.4. and as I tried to export my databases from phpmyadmin, each attempt resulted in an error ‘Failed – Network Error’. At first I thought changing browsers would help solve this but no.

Not being able to export my database means I cannot migrate my website to my server so this was important. This had me scratching my head and after a bit of research came across this post where the author described the same problem. In the replies someone said that phpMyAdmin 5.1.3 currently has issues with PHP 8.1. and a downgrade would solve the problem.

I had no idea how to do this so I found this article over at the Dev Ops School which told me exactly how to fix the problem.

Now, in my specific case Step 2 wasn’t as straight forward as described, I am sure that’s because there is something else I don’t know. Basically, it says to extract the version of Xampp that contains a lower PHP version, 7.4.28 for Windows 64-bit in my case, then copy the folders ‘apache’ and ‘php’ over to the Xampp installation directory.

The only way I know how to extract an .exe file is to right click and extract it, with a decompression tool like 7-Zip for example.

There was no trace of the folders I needed…

Which made sense because these folders are created as part of the installation process. Now, I wasn’t going to install this package, that doesn’t make sense. At least not on this machine I realized. The best to get hold of the data that I could think of was to install xampp 7.4.28 on another machine, copy the folders onto a removable disk and paste them into the directory on my main machine.

Prior to that I had made a backup copy of the entire xampp directory on my target machine just to be save. I figured it wasn’t necessary but I wanted to be 100% sure I won’t lose important work.

After that the Dev Ops School how to guide worked flawlessly.

It also fixed an error I was seeing in the DIVI builder that prior to the database export issue was driving me up the wall. I was testing the new Advanced Gradient Builder on a new project post. If you haven’t seen the new feature in action go check it out over on Elegent Themes’ blog. It’s awesome!

As soon as I changed the first gradient stop color, a new tab would open showing the project I was working on but the page was empty. I could switch back to the tab I came from and could continue to work but wasn’t able to save the page. Since I was working in xampp I knew my internet connection wasn’t the problem. Since I could still save any other page just fine this had me puzzled once again that evening. I didn’t want to lose my work so I tested saving the sections individually to the library so I could load them into a new project individually which worked fine except for the one containing the gradient…

Symphonic Design question

 

This made lead me to believe the new feature had something to do with issue and I had no solution and decided to leave it for now and make peace that saving the page worked fine for now when leaving gradient stop colors untouched.

After solving the phpmyadmin database export issue I thought “…maybe the gradient issue is related to the phpmyadmin and php versions conflict …” and tested it. I was relieved to find that it had been resolved and on my server that runs PHP 8.1. the issue is also absent.

At the end of all this I could successfully migrate my WordPress site to Siteground. The manual migration process was an adventure in itself during which I learned tons again. I’ll publish that story shortly so be sure to check back in about a week’s time.